The stables were built in 1875 for Alexander Bannatyne Stewart (1836-1880) of Messrs Stewart & McDonald, wholesale clothing warehousemen, whose large warehouse spanned Buchanan, Argyle and Mitchell Streets in Glasgow. They had outlets as far afield as Dublin, Toronto, Sydney and Port Elizabeth. Stewart was married in 1862 to Fanny Stevenson and both his and his wife's initials appear to the left and right of the Stuart coat of arms , motto and thistle at the entrance to the building. Stewart was renowned for his appreciation of fine art and he also cultivated ferns and flowers, particularly orchids, which he grew at Ascog Hall.